For my very first post, I thought I would share the story of our much-anticipated little girl. A little over a year ago, my then-four-year old came to me and asked when his baby sister was coming. We had no intention of having another baby any time soon, so I informed him that we weren't having a baby, and moved on. He did not. Throughout the next week or so, he mentioned his baby or his sister intermittently. One day he said something about "when the baby in mama's tummy..." and I stopped him and explained very clearly that there was NO baby in mama's tummy. He looked at me with a very knowing expression and said "I know. But soon." at which point he walked away, while I sat there with my mouth hanging open. That was the last time he said anything about it.
So, cut to about five months ago. I was laying in bed, cuddling with my boys, with my hands resting on my stomach. I felt a little movement, I'm sure just a muscle twitch or something, but it made me think "oh, that's how it used to feel when there was a baby in there. Wait a minute...how long has it been since I've had my..." I happened to have a leftover pregnancy test in the bathroom, so I thought I'd take it, it would come up negative, and that would be that. Obviously it didn't.
Ethan, now five, never waivered about whether or not she was a girl. One day, while Clayton and I were discussing names, Ethan said he liked the name Jordyn. For the record, Jordyn was on my list of contenders, but I hadn't even said it aloud yet. Clayton immediately loved it. MY name choice 'Elizabeth' was added as a middle name and that was that. What I find particularly interesting, is the fact that as far as I can tell, Ethan had never heard the name Jordyn before. There is no one in his school with that name. He doesn't really watch tv. When asked where he heard it, he said "it just came into my brain." Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's wishful thinking. But I can't help but believe that he knew his sister was coming. He even knew her name. She was wanted before we knew she was going to exist. She'll have a daddy wrapped around her finger, a mommy who's wanted her for years, and two big brothers who will do anything she asks. She'll be our little princess.
What an amazing story Dana!! I love your family picture too!!
ReplyDelete