Bloch Family

Bloch Family
....families are forever

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Why I Fight For My Right To Par-tay

  I hear a lot of questions about why I plan such big parties every year. A lot of questions. Some people are just genuinely surprised and curious, some sound a little defensive, like I'm judging them for not throwing them.  I have a hard time explaining my reasons for doing it, it's more like a few reasons that all combine together.

1. I LIKE to. I honestly enjoy every bit of my party planning. If I didn't, I wouldn't do it. My children certainly don't expect it or demand it.  I just like it. I love having something to think about when I'm bored at the DMV, or on those rare occasions that the house is clean and the children are content. And I enjoy making crafts and seeing something I made hanging up.  It may seem like a waste of time to spend three hours working on a wreath that I'll use for one day, but I usually space it out over several days and I love marking it off the list when it's done. I also love keeping an eye out all year for something that will work perfectly. That's why I pick a theme so early!


Found these mugs that were perfect for root beer floats for CHEAP! Score!
2. They're only little once.  There are only so many years that I have to enjoy them believing in anything. The look on Ethan's face when Batman walked out onto the porch is something I'll never forget.  I love that they still believe in magic and superheroes. To me it's kind of like another chance at Christmas. They will most likely never know how much effort and time I put into their party. That's ok, they don't have to.  All that's important is that they have the most fun they can. I just want them to be perfectly happy for those two hours. I don't want to worry about how it will effect their future or if it's too much or too little, I just want to see them run and smile.


That moment when you realize Batman is real and at your house!
3. It's a celebration of them.  I spend a lot of time making sure they are acting the way they are suppose to. Be nice to your friends, share your toys, don't hog the swings, study for spelling, don't misbehave at school. Some days it feesl like my job as mom is just to correct them all the time. But the truth is, that they are my whole world. I love them more than anything on the planet.  This is a way for me to show them and the world that I think that they are worth the time and effort it takes to make a giant telephone booth or hang crepe paper on every immobile surface of the house.


Somewhere over the rainbow, dreams come true
So those are a few of my reasons. I understand that other families have their traditions, but this is ours and we love it.  Some families aren't into parties, and that's fine. I get that. But we are. We invite a crowd and have fun and laugh and play and run and jump and eat sugary sweets.  That's why I do what I do. I hope you understand! :)
-Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment