Bloch Family

Bloch Family
....families are forever

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Letter To 16 Year Old Me

I recently saw a blog post on pinterest (that I won't link up to, because I didn't like the message of the blog) but it mentioned a trend of writing a letter to your sixteen year old self.  As I thought over what I would say if I were to write one, I was struck by how great my life had turned out and all that I have to be thankful for.  That made me want to share it. So, here's my letter.



how I was hoping my life would turn out


Dear Dana,

    First of all, STOP THINKING ABOUT BOYS SO MUCH.  You will meet one, he will be wonderful.  He will not come from your hometown. You will be grateful for this. Just relax and enjoy your life.  This is right around the time that we really found our true friends, the ones we stick with.  Have fun with them, don't argue about guys or clothes or anything like that.  Just be grateful that we found the ones that will always have our backs, and keep making a lot of memories.  And when you get to college, pay attention. Take it seriously. Please.
enjoy this

   Growing up is hard sometimes, and all those insecurities that we obsess over haven't gone away.   Sometimes I still feel like an invisible girl to 95% of the population. I still worry that I'm not very pretty and that I'm not very important to the people that are important to me.  Thirteen years later, and a lot of the time I feel very much the same as I did then. The good news is that I've learned to see it with perspective and to understand that sometimes, I'm just wrong.  Maybe in another thirteen years we'll have mastered that.  Maybe it will be something that we always struggle with.  But I can understand now that everyone has their issues they struggle with, even if we don't see them.  And the
people who are most important to us, really do love us. Through and through.

   The best part is that there are four
people that our whole world will revolve around, and you haven't even dreamt of their existence yet!  In all our teen-idol worshipping and ex-boyfriend obsessing, we never dreamt up someone who would be as perfect for us as Clayton is.  He is laid-back and easy-going, totally devoted to our family, and (one of the most important things) he makes us laugh. A lot. Staying up late talking and laughing with him is better than you could ever imagine love being.  Just be patient, and go to college. He'll be there pretty quickly after that.  And the other three people? Well, I know that you love kids in the abstract form, but it hasn't prepared you for the love that you'll feel for the three little ones that are currently snuggled into their beds. They are the greatest things we've ever done, and we spend our days trying to be a good mom and our nights worried that we're not one.  But they are fantastic kids and we are so lucky to have the opportunity to raise them.


more of this, please.
  On that note, go hug your mom and dad.  Seriously.  I know you're all angst-y right now, but you don't begin to understand how much they love you.  And how much you love them.  I've seen a lot of parents over the years that have made me realize how much of a brat I am, and how fabulous they are.  Stop making their lives difficult!  Take notes, because this parenting thing is hard, and they nailed it.  And as for our siblings, hug them, too.  I know things are fine with them most of the time, but make it better than fine.  Make their childhood special.  They are our best friends now, and we won't have as much time with one of them as we assumed we would.  Go and hug her and kiss her and tell her how great she is and how we'll always love her.  Then do it again. Do it everyday you can. It's the only thing I'd really change if I could.

-Dana   

how it actually turned out (I'm resigned to that fact...)


P.S. Give up the Lance thing. Trust me on this.  

2 comments:

  1. I miss you Dana. This is perfect, thank you. And when I find a husband, I'm coming back to Arkansas. to my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you, too. I like hearing you call Ark home :)

      Delete